Solidaridad East & Central Africa
Terms of Reference
Training of coffee cuppers for EU funded PASSPORT TO COFFEE EXPORT (PACE) Project in Tanzania
1. ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND
Solidaridad is a global network civil society organization with expertise in developing sustainable market-oriented supply chains, farmer training, and certification and credit linkages related to coffee, cocoa, cotton and 10 other commodities. The organization has experience in managing international programmes working with grass root organizations, producers, civil society and local government, and core and support role private sector actors. Solidaridad has a strong presence in Africa and Asia, as well as North, Central and South America (www.solidaridadnetwork.org).
Solidaridad is currently implementing the EU funded project titled PASSPORT TO COFFEE EXPORT (PACE): The project is implemented in Mbeya, Ruvuma and Songwe, with the aim of promoting a sustainable and inclusive sector development through a robust export oriented coffee value chain by 2023.
2. PROJECT DESCRIPTION
In order to facilitate farmers’ access to coffee quality assessment services as part of the interventions towards creating positive impact to farmers in coffee value chain, three basic coffee labs were procured and installed in our three intervention regions of Mbeya, Ruvuma and Songwe. However, there is a shortage of technical personnel and certified coffee cuppers to operate labs, test the coffee, check the quality and detect the defects.
PACE is aiming to train 6 coffee cuppers**,** who will play a role in conducting tests and providing farmers with cupping scores, thereby ensuring quality control, quality assessment and continuous improvement at the farmer level**.**
3. SCOPE OF WORK AND EXPECTED OUTPUTS/DELIVERABLES
The selected training provider will be responsible for delivering a comprehensive training program for 6 coffee cuppers, covering the following key areas:
1. Level one coffee processing training
· Fermentation techniques
· Water quality
- Introduction to Coffee Cupping:
- Theoretical foundations of coffee cupping
- Sensory evaluation techniques
- Recognizing coffee defects and attributes
- Practical Training:
- Hands-on cupping sessions
- Calibration exercises to ensure consistency in scoring
- Identification and evaluation of coffee profiles
- Quality Control Procedures:
- Implementing quality control measures in a laboratory setting
- Ensuring accuracy and precision in cupping scores
- Reporting and Documentation:
- Proper recording and documentation of cupping results
- Providing clear and actionable feedback to coffee farmers
- Training Evaluation:
- Conducting assessments to measure trainee proficiency
- Providing constructive feedback and recommendations for improvement
4. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
- The training should be conducted by experienced professionals in the field of coffee cupping.
- The training curriculum should be tailored to the specific needs of our project and participants.
- Certificates of completion should be provided to our 6 trainees.
We anticipate the training to be conducted within 7 days. Please provide your proposed schedule along with the Terms of Reference.
Kindly submit a detailed budget proposal outlining the costs associated with providing the training services, including but not limited to trainer fees, materials, and any other relevant expenses.
How to apply
7. SUBMISSION DETAILS:
All interested companies are invited to submit their Terms of Reference and budget proposal by 26th September 2023 via email to email@example.com
Top of Form
Attn: Country Manager
Solidaridad Eastern and Central Africa Expertise Centre (Tanzania office)
P.O. Box 544 – Arusha
Note: Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification and only successful candidates will be contacted.