The Technical Writer, Global Health, primarily works with technical and country-based staff on proposals to public sector funders and occasionally to private sector and foundation funders, with a special focus on global health opportunities aligned with strategic areas of growth. S/he will be responsible for developing highly quality and technically sound proposals that are responsive to and compliant with funder requirements, working together with technical experts within Pact’s Global Health Team, Pact’s country offices, Business Development team, Programs Operations team, and Integrated Communications team. Beyond proposals, the Technical Writer, Global Health, will craft and maintain an up-to-date catalog of written materials for prepositioning, such as capability and past performance statements. S/he will also dedicate level of effort toward supporting documentation as part of Pact’s global thought leadership to influence the public, private, and social sectors, and is also a member of Pact’s cross-sectoral Technical Writers and Editors (TWE) team. The Technical Writer, Global Health, will report to the Vice President, Global Health.
Proposal writing and support (85% level of effort)
- Lead the writing of high-quality and responsive proposals, in accordance with Pact and donor requirements.
- Contribute to technical design sessions on proposal strategy, proactively facilitate development of win themes, and participate in discussions on strategic partnerships and approaches.
- Support the preparation and delivery of proposal design workshops.
- Develop the technical narrative by collecting, integrating, and ensuring the quality of inputs and contributions from technical leads/technical support team and/or consultants.
- Review, revise, and edit technical proposal sections provided by technical staff, consultants, and partners, and integrate them into the overall technical proposal.
- Participate in technical reviews and incorporate feedback and revisions in a timely manner.
- Review and integrate all background materials to ensure that the technical application is compliant with all technical and structural requirements.
- Interview and gather technical inputs and competitive intelligence from country offices, technical units, subject matter specialists, and other resource persons.
- Constructively challenge the design team to produce a high-quality proposal design and product.
- Support partner engagement to draw forth technical insight and proposal contributions.
- Advise on visuals and graphics that reinforce narrative messages.
- Provide peer support by copy-editing proposals drafted by other technical writers, as needed and as time and workload permit.
Program Support (5% level of effort)
- Support project teams to structure and develop key documents.
- Review, revise, and edit project reports and deliverables.
Organizational Initiatives (10% level of effort)
- Support other organizational efforts around Strategic Priorities/Initiatives as appropriate.
- Develop additional materials, such as capacity statements and web content.
- Participate in and contribute to Pact’s Technical Writers and Editors (TWE) team and
- Technical Writing Community of Practice (TWCOP) meetings and trainings, including on best practices in technical writing for proposals and thought leadership projects.
Employee complies with all company policies and procedures, including completing all compliance training topics by the deadline to satisfy each and receiving the corresponding acknowledgment statement that the training has been completed.
All other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree and 8+ years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Master’s degree in international development, Public Health, Communications, or a related field.
- At least 8 years of work experience in international development or a relevant field.
- At least 5-8 years of progressive experience in developing and writing successful proposals worth more than $2 million.
- Experience writing successful USAID and/or FCDO proposals.
- Experience in global health,
- Excellent English technical writing and editing skills.
- Excellent management, communications, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with critical global health trends and issues.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize knowledge (inputs) into high-quality proposal outputs.
- Ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously while still meeting deadlines and maintaining quality.
- Ability to objectively assess proposal responsiveness against requirements.
- Ability to successfully collaborate with others and work in teams – especially under pressure.
- Ability to mentor and guide staff on proposal writing.
- Ability to work independently and manage a high-volume workflow.
- Experience with a range of public and private donors.
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with various team members, country office staff and in-country host government personnel, local partners, and donors.
- Experience building staff writing skills. Verbal and written French or Spanish fluency.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%, often on short notice
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, citizenship status, genetic information, matriculation, family responsibilities, personal appearance, credit information, tobacco use (except in the workplace), membership in an employee organization, or other protected classifications or non-merit factors.
At Pact, we recognize your impact, offer you opportunities and support your total well-being. Our comprehensive benefit offerings may include healthcare, retirement (8.8% to 13% based on service tenure) and savings plans, paid time off, disability and life insurance programs, learning and development opportunities, wellness programs as well as other optional benefit elections .
With the continuing impacts of COVID-19 around the world, we are taking action to protect the health and well-being of our colleagues and maintain the safety of the communities where we operate. Pact seeks an environment free from COVID-19 and prefers all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Attestation of vaccination status will be required for employment with Pact. Unvaccinated employees may be subject to additional health and safety requirements to include any federal, state and/or client restrictions.
How to apply
Please apply on our website. Technical Writer, Global Health in Washington, DC | Careers at Washington, DC (icims.com)