Barrick Gold Corporation
North Mara Gold Mine Limited is seeking to recruit a Technical and Capital Officer to join and grow their team. You will be expected to align to the Barrick DNA and to operate within our mining assets with our best people teams. You will contribute in a safe and cost-effective manner to achieve targets in accordance with Mine Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures and ensure daily targets are met.
About North Mara
The North Mara gold Mine is located in north-west Tanzania in the Tarime district of the Mara region. It is around 100 kilometres east of Lake Victoria and 20 kilometres south of the Kenyan border.
North Mara started commercial production in 2002. The mine is a combined open pit and underground operation from two deposits, Gokona (underground) and Nyabirama (open pit).
- Develop and manage demand plan for capital material and equipment requirement, in collaboration with the capital team by project.
- Evaluate all once off engineering/capital item RFQs to ensure that there is no similar item and to establish if it should be a stock item.
- Evaluate RFQs raised by end users for once off items and identify source.
- Interact with potential suppliers to correctly specify the item and finalize the item specification through and iterative process with the supplier/s.
- Document all necessary information (refer to item creation Procedure) that will clearly define the specification for the buying house with the recommended supplier.
- Ensure the appropriate evaluation of a new supplier has taken place prior placing the RFQ with the Supply Partner.
- Expedite all non-stock technical items and ensure appropriate quality control.
- Undertake review role for all changes proposed to existing stock items or new items by end users to ensure that there is a cost benefit and that there is a phase out plan.
- On receipt of once off engineering/capital items ensure that the item complies with specification and release for to the end user.
- Investigate all non-conformances relating to Engineering and Capital items (whether stock or once off), and ensure corrective action is taken to Barrick standard.
- Maintain all information related to the non-stock items on the ERP system.
- Advise on proper long-term maintenance procedures for technical stock items.
- Audit items in capital yard.
- Ensure quality control is applied for all items when purchased by purchasing section.
- All critical, strategic and insurance items to be identified and physically checked that it complies and is operational and stored correctly in the warehouse.
- Monitor the daily site clarifications with the buyers.
- Assist all Engineering staff on spares issues from Supply Chain.
- Check all new items arriving and make a mental note on critical spares arrived.
- Check the 0 in stock items and push the buyers and inventory for order and ensure the list is priori expedited to site.
- Address discrepancy in time with supplier partners.
- As part of MRP analysis comity, to ensure the weekly MRP review is examined together with MRM specialist, Inventory control, Senior buyer and Demand and Supply Manager, in guidance with needful comments.
- Custodian of master data clean-up with supporting documents as Change control form, for OEM or Approved suppliers Part number, Description, UOM, long text.
- Active Participation in weekly and monthly demand planning meeting with demand plan comity.
- Keep equipment and spares to Barrick’s standard.
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent relevant trade qualification from a recognized institution.
- A Mechanical Trade Certification is highly desired.
Experience and competencies needed
- Qualified artisan with at least 10 years’ experience in a mining or related environment.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to read and interpret engineering drawings.
- Ability to prioritize work on own initiative.
- Networking skills.
- Understanding of maintenance management systems.
- Able to identify which items is critical and should be-kept by using his technical experience.
- Technical knowledge of process plant equipment, U/G mining equipment and HME mobile equipment.
- Technical qualifications in mechanical and electrical fields and have to have a few years working experience in Goldmines.
Our mission is to be the world’s most valued gold and copper mining business. We are committed to partnering with our host countries and communities to transform their natural resources into tangible benefits and mutual prosperity.
With operating mines and projects in 18 countries, Barrick’s highly diversified workforce is drawn almost entirely from our host nations and equipped with world-class skills. We set the gold standard in sustainability by embedding environmental, social and economic considerations into all of our business decisions.
The company’s shares trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol GOLD and on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol ABX. Learn more at www.barrick.com or follow us on LinkedIn.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The North Mara gold mine is located in north-west Tanzania in the Tarime district of the Mara region. It is around 100 kilometres east of Lake Victoria and 20 kilometres south of the Kenyan border.
North Mara started commercial production in 2002. The mine is a combined open pit and underground operation from two deposits, Gokona (underground) and Nyabirama (open pit). The process plant has the capacity to process an average of 8,000 tonnes of ore per day.