The Global Health Advocacy Incubator (GHAI) supports civil society organizations advocating for public health policies that reduce death and disease. We bring a proven advocacy approach and a global network of local partners, built on a 25-year track record of success across multiple issues in more than 60 countries. GHAI is an initiative of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.
12-month consultancy with an estimated start date of October 1, 2023.
About the Data for Health (D4H) Program:
GHAI is part of the Bloomberg Philanthropies Data for Health (D4H) Initiative, which supports low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia and the Pacific to improve civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS) systems. Civil registration systems are the systems that register births, deaths, foetal deaths, and other vital events. Civil registration data is used to produce vital statistics, which are essential for government planning and policymaking; and birth and death registration create and retire an individual’s legal identity.
Under the D4H Initiative, GHAI provides technical assistance to help countries strengthen their CRVS systems through (1) legal reviews and reforms, (2) budget advocacy for increased and sustainable funding of these systems, and (3) civil society-led advocacy to drive public demand for CRVS services and political prioritization of the issue.
About D4H in Tanzania:
Under the Bloomberg Philanthropies Data for Health Initiative, the Government of Tanzania has strengthened core aspects of the national CRVS system with support from partners. You can read a country overview of D4H work in Tanzania here.
About the position:
GHAI seeks an in-country consultant (ICC) with advocacy expertise to support the development and implementation of a CRVS budget advocacy strategy in Tanzania, in collaboration with the GHAI’s Data for Health team, national CRVS stakeholders, and local and global partners. The position requires a well-developed understanding of in-country advocacy campaigns that lead to national policy and budgetary change, strategic thinking, strong project management and coordination skills, and the ability to work within cross-functional teams. The position works under the supervision of the program lead for advocacy in GHAI’s Data for Health program.
This position is based in Tanzania.
WHAT YOU’LL ACCOMPLISH:· Technical expertise in policy and budget advocacy.
· Apply a strong working knowledge of Tanzania’s political and administrative systems, processes, and players to identify opportunities to advocate for changes in budget and other policies related to CRVS.
· Develop and apply a deep understanding of budgetary issues related to CRVS in Tanzania; closely monitor and report new developments throughout the budget cycle.
· Continuously appraise the policy landscape, including potential opposition, to ensure that partners are taking advantage of timely opportunities.
· Country project and program management
· In consultation with GHAI’s Data for Health team, support the development and operationalization of a CRVS budget advocacy strategy for Tanzania.
· Assist partner development and implementation of work plans that feed into a coordinated, overarching CRVS advocacy strategy that leverages each partner’s strengths and minimizes duplication.
· Monitor partner performance to ensure deliverables are met and help modify work plans as needed.
· Advocacy support, coaching/mentoring, and coordination
· Maintain and regularly update databases of relevant stakeholders, including the Tanzanian government at the federal level and at subnational (e.g., district) level as appropriate, civil society organizations, private sector players, and international partners.
· Help to identify government and CSO partners and support those advocates to build and maintain productive partnerships (at national and subnational levels) to ensure support for the passage of strong policies and implementation processes.
· Support government partners to formulate policy objectives, strategies, and timelines for advocacy campaigns targeted at passing laws or regulations or implementing policies in line with the country strategy.
· Provide and/or facilitate technical assistance to partners as needed.
· Relationship and coalition building
· Help build strategic relationships with government, non-government, and other organizations that have a stake in CRVS at the national and district level.
· Support, where appropriate, the development and strengthening of coalitions in Tanzania that support CRVS.
· Representation and reporting
· Represent GHAI at key meetings with partners and policymakers to ensure that GHAI policy positions and priorities are fully communicated to all stakeholders.
· Hold regular strategy discussions and progress meetings with GHAI’s Data for Health advocacy team to assess and guide work progress.
· Represent GHAI as the primary liaison with implementing partners in Tanzania.
· Perform duties as requested by the GHAI team to further program goals and objectives.
· Produce quality and timely reports and papers on activities and other deliverables for the assigned portfolio of work and report against established targets.
· Facilitate regular, in-person meetings with partners, and telephone meetings between partners and GHAI at the national and/or district level.
· Travel as needed to participate in regional and global events representing GHAI.
SKILLS YOU’LL BRING TO THE ROLE