Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC)
- Job Scope: Regional
- Working Language: English
- Technical/Practice Area: Administration
- Type of Engagement: Fixed Term
About UMB – International Operations
The International Operations (IO) department serves the UMB community as it engages in the international implementation of global education, research, and service. Through the UMB Global Hub, IO provides specialized services to UMB units in travel, safety and security, procurement, finance, audit, ethics, human resources, and other operational areas. IO activates the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC), a UMB affiliate charged with supporting UMB international activities and projects that may require a sustained international presence in the form of dedicated personnel in-country, physical office space, a bank account, or similar infrastructure. IO sets UMB standards for international operations and oversees operational compliance. Across all its work, IO facilitates and promotes robust risk management. As partners in the Global Hub, IO and the Center for Global Engagement (CGE) work together to ensure seamless support of UMB’s global activities.
Most importantly, the IO department and its personnel are guided by the WISER following guiding principles as it performs its functions:
- Well-Being and Sustainability
- Innovation and Discovery
- Service Excellence and Accountability
- Equity and Justice
- Respect and Integrity
The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is a nonprofit affiliate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore, established by UMB to carry out UMB’s programs to strengthen health systems and improve the human condition in the areas where UMB operates through MGIC. MGIC has UMB-approved affiliates, field offices, and program offices (collectively known as “country offices”), and is the Employer for non-US-based personnel who report to or are affiliated with UMB.
As a position based outside the United States, Corporate Governance and International Compliance Specialist will be hired under an MGIC employment contract and will report to UMB’s International Operations department.
MGIC is recruiting for one Specialist in one of the following countries: Botswana, Costa Rica, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mexico, Mozambique, Tanzania, and Zambia.
All candidates must be a resident of and eligible to work in the country in which they are applying to be based for this position. Please note that MGIC will not sponsor work permits or work visas for this role.
The Corporate Governance and International Compliance Specialist supports the operations of the IO department and the MGIC activities managed from the United States of America (MGIC US). In their role, the Specialist will support IO’s oversight of corporate governance compliance for MGIC country offices and the establishment of MGIC services in new countries. The compliance areas monitored and overseen by IO include but are not limited to international insurance, country registration and regulatory filings, legal counsel retainers, litigation and corporate record management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the monitoring of MGIC’s corporate governance by regularly updating internal documents that track:
- Country office regulatory filings that are relevant to UMB’s affiliate operations.
- Country office compliance with MGIC business, such as legal, insurance, and audit engagements.
- MGIC policy exceptions.
- Items of potential and any active litigation; and
- Conflict of interest declarations.
- Performs preliminary research on the business environment (finance, human resources, legal, security, etc.) in existing and new countries of operations.
- Supports the preparation of corporate documents, including authentications for international use.
- Works with the IO department personnel to maintain accurate corporate records.
- Works with MGIC Country Offices and IO leadership to procure Head Office insurance policies.
- Responds to informational queries about international insurance policies held by UMB and MGIC.
- Supports the International Risk Unit’s goals in monitoring and response to UMB and MGIC’s international threats.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, Public Administration, Law, or other related fields.
- Advanced Proficiency in English (speaking, reading, and writing) required.
- Working proficiency in French, Portuguese, or Spanish preferred.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Three (3) years of work experience in the international development/NGO sector.
- Two (2) years of work experience supporting compliance and/or insurance.
- Experience supporting programs sponsored by the US government and other bilateral donors.
- Knowledge of corporate insurance policies and their procurement.
- Knowledge of international business registrations in different countries.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work flexible hours, when needed, including outside of the normal office hours.
- Ability to follow work plans and work independently.
- Highly proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
Qualified and interested applicants should submit a single PDF document consisting of a cover letter in which the candidate confirms their country of residency and work authorization and a CV.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.