Value Chain Transformation
Are you a business-minded manager with strong business advisory skills and program design experience? Do you have a thorough understanding of agricultural value chains and a strong interest and competence in supply chain sustainability and value chain development? Are you a strong convener and partnership builder? Then you might be our new Senior Program Manager in Tanzania, supporting the private sector to create inclusive business models that deliver goods and services to farmers efficiently, effectively and at scale.
About AgriGRADE Project
AgriGRADE is an innovative project that seeks to drive sustainable inclusion of smallholder farmers in commercial supply chain by leveraging on cooperative and farmer organizations. AgriGRADE is an initiative of SCOPEInsight, Agriterra, IDH, Oikocredit and Farmfit Fund. The project will therefore seek to segment, professionalize, and graduate cooperatives and farmer organizations in among others maize and rice value chains in Tanzania, stimulating market linkages with processors and financial service providers. AgriGRADE seeks to transform rural economies into economically viable, resilient and inclusive with an objective of improving food trade, food security and create local economic value. This will be achieved through increased professionalism, improved efficiency and strengthening of the value chain to catalyse access to finance at scale (for more info see: www.agrigrade.org).
As a Senior Program Manager (SPM) in Value Chain Transformation (VCT) team, you will provide technical and management support to the AgriGRADE program’s activities in Tanzania to create positive impact by building professional cooperatives and farmer organizations. You will independently coordinate the local pilot partners, manage local stakeholders and coordinate a portfolio of projects that are focused on value chain and business model optimization and innovation. Within IDH, the SPM will work closely with the Program manager in Kenya, Country Manager for Tanzania and other members of the VCT Business Unit. Furthermore, the SPM will work closely with the pilot partners, AgriGRADE’s Centre of Excellence (CoE) and local stakeholders to ensure and support the development and implementation of the AgriGRADE pilot. The SPM will also be responsible for the day-today operation, coordinating pilot partners, planning, budgeting, monitoring and reporting of the pilot towards the pilot partners.. The SPM will ensure effective pilot implementation and compliance and timely achievement of project deliverables.
In this position you will have the following key responsibilities:
- Support in the development and implementation of the AgriGRADE pilot project in Tanzania up to 2026, including reporting and development of program pipeline deliverables. This will be done by working closely with implementing partners.
- Support the collaboration between important stakeholders, such as government, service providers and financial institutions.
- Coordinate and build working relationships with pilot partners
- Support the design, development and implementation of inclusive business model and value chain development program activities to increase and improve the commercialization and business operations of SMEs and farmer organizations.
- Convene the private sector and other stakeholders (input providers, financial institutions) to develop the agricultural value chains and business models and unlock markets and finance for SME’s and farmer organizations.
- Provide business coaching and build the capacity of SMEs and farmer organizations to build efficient supply chains and meet market needs.
- Manage and monitor progress of projects and ensure timely forecasting, planning and reporting
- Ensure reporting, KPI and data collection during project implementation to support the learning agenda
- Develop work plans and budgets together with the pilot partners
- Support the planning, organization, and coordination of events and workshops as required, including engagements with government, private sector players as well as other program partners in Tanzania.
- Stakeholder management and networking
- Support the program’s knowledge management & communication
Who you are
IDH is looking for a business-oriented value chain expert or agribusiness advisor, that can combine technical knowledge with excellent convening skills and an entrepreneurial mindset. You are both strategic, analytical and practical, able to work independently and on different projects from beginning to end. You possess the ability to execute innovative projects quickly and thoroughly, maintaining a good overview on delegated tasks and are able to actively look to improve programme management systems and IDH quality of delivery.
You are a well-rounded and solution-driven professional, passionate about your work and what IDH stands for. With your people skills you are approachable and easy to talk to and are well equipped to establish and maintain partnerships. This makes it easy for you to work with flexibility, entrepreneurship, and diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort. You have experience in organizing multi-stakeholder coalitions based on your networking skills and ability to share your expertise and excel in your verbal and written communication skills. You are honest, transparent, energetic and a fast learner that demonstrates highest level of integrity.
What you bring
- Master’s Degree in Agribusiness, supply chain management, agriculture or business related fields;
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in agricultural value chain development or commodity programs
- Relevant private sector experience and good understanding of the East African business landscape.
- Experience in agri-business development especially in optimization of inclusive business models, commercialization of SMEs and farmers in Africa.
- Experience in working with cooperatives and farmer organization business models.
- Deep understanding of (financial) business models and experience in building models
- Experience and understanding of how making SME’s investment-ready and unlocking finance
- Strong communication, advisory and analytical skills, and ability to drive processes for quality analysis and reports.
- Experience in advising senior external stakeholders at a strategic and business management level.
- Strong convening and networking skills
- Adequate reporting and presentation skills, incl. building PowerPoint decks.
- A result-oriented team player, self-propelling and self-organized, eye for detail.
- Fluency in English.
What we offer
IDH offers a challenging position within an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. This is a full-time position, initially for one year, with the intention to extend. We offer a competitive salary (depending on seniority and experience) and solid fringe benefits, including a good pension scheme.
Then please apply to our position by just send us your motivation and resume in English by clicking here or applying via this link: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/304777/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 21st February 2024. Candidates should be Tanzania nationals or have permission to work in Tanzania. You can contact Georgina Munge at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
To apply for this job please visit idhtrade.inhroffice.com.