Results for Development (R4D)
The Market Shaping practice (MSP) is dedicated to transforming access to, and improving appropriate use of, essential and life-saving products in a holistic and sustainable manner. We develop, iterate on, and support catalytic implementation of long-lasting solutions at the global and country levels to address challenges identified by country partners and backed by rigorous analyses. We have applied our expertise to achieve more than a billion dollars in savings in countries and supported improved access to high-quality products in health, nutrition, and education markets.
Some MSP projects include:
- Increasing access to childhood pneumonia treatments through iterative market shaping approaches in support of government leadership and in close collaboration with partners and other key market actors in several high-burden countries, including Ethiopia and Tanzania.
- Identifying underlying market challenges and opportunities to address severe acute malnutrition.
- Partnering with the Government of Ethiopia to establish and support the Quantification and Market Shaping Directorate to spearhead country-owed and -led market shaping investment in the public health system.
- Co-creating advocacy and market-shaping roadmaps to scale up multiple micronutrient supplements (MMS) for improved maternal nutrition and reduced risks of adverse birth outcomes.
- Explore more of our current and previous projects here.
Please note, this position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Tanzania nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a local benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
R4D is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Senior Program Associate to provide technical support to the Market Shaping Practice’s Tanzania-based team. This position will report to the Program Director, Market Shaping Practice based in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.
As a part of this high-impact team, responsibilities may include:
- Conduct in-depth qualitative and quantitative research and analyses, including critical review of literature and interviews with experts, to identify bottlenecks in public and private essential commodity markets primarily in Tanzania.
- Help to develop analytic and written presentations and deliverables to communicate key findings and recommendations from analyses to internal and external audiences.
- Engage extensively and effectively with diverse stakeholders, including government agencies, procurers, policymakers, healthcare providers, implementing partners and private sector entities.
- Execute on project work plans and activities in a high-quality and timely manner and help identify creative ways to expand current work in Tanzania.
- Assist in the development of knowledge management and communication strategies to promote the dissemination and uptake of R4D’s work in Tanzania.
As part of the work on MSP’s Childhood Pneumonia Program, responsibilities may include:
- Work closely with the Ministry of Health, Medical Stores Department, and the Government Clearing Agency to streamline procurement and clearance processes, ensuring amoxicillin DT (WHO-recommended first line treatment for pneumonia) consignments are delivered and cleared in a timely manner.
- Support the coordination of different government and non-government stakeholders to ensure there is a sustainable financing mechanism for amox DT and other child health commodities.
- Participate in various government policy technical working groups, providing technical expertise to ensure that policies are updated to promote increased access to amox DT and other child health commodities in the public and private sector.
- Provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Health in the quantification and supply planning of amox DT and other child health commodities. This includes utilizing and analyzing various data points from the government systems including the Electronic Logistics Management Information Systems (ELMIS), District Health Information Software (DHIS2) and the Epicor 10 (E10) inventory systems to validate and ensure that the quantities forecasted through the bottom-up quantification reflect the actual needs of the country.
- Support assessment of availability levels of amox DT and other essential health commodities in public health facilities across Tanzania.
- The following activities will support the overall operations of the Tanzania office:
- Support the INGO compliance reporting process (e.g., proof-reading documents, ensuring all requirements are met, etc.).
- Coordinate effective quarterly work planning cycles amongst programmatic and operational teams.
- Support effective implementation of weekly team meetings.
Qualifications / Requirements:
You’re a great fit if you are:
- Genuinely passionate about markets-based approaches to drive sustainable impact.
- A strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills, able to vary one’s style based on the audience and distill complex concepts into clear messaging.
- Energized by working on complex projects in global contexts, particularly in low- and middle-income countries.
- Highly analytical, and a structured and creative problem solver.
- Enthusiastic about working within a culturally diverse team.
- Collaborative, approachable, and invested in enabling a positive working environment.
Your experience should include:
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum 3 years of relevant work experience OR master’s degree in related field of study with 1 year of relevant work experience in public health, pharmaceutical sciences, economics, international development, or other related field of study. Relevant work experience preferred in public health related to healthcare markets or health systems.
- Demonstrated track record of analyzing quantitative and qualitative data and developing analytical products.
- Ability to think and solve problems in a structured and logical manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders in multicultural environments.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to develop short presentations and written reports.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team, and deliver high-quality results within a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Significant experience in Tanzania or East Africa strongly preferred, including experience working in the Tanzanian public health sector such as the Ministry of Health (MoH), Medical Stores Department (MSD), and/or Tanzania Medicine and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA).
- Previous experience monitoring supply of commodities in the public-sector healthcare system, and/or experience in national quantification activities is preferred.
- Private sector supply chain management / supply chain optimization experience preferred.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Fluency in oral and written Kiswahili and English.
To apply for this job please visit www.devex.com.