Results for Development (R4D)
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D is a growing organization with an expanding global footprint and reach. We are seeking a Senior Operations Officer to support three key areas of R4D Program Operations – (1) Travel Management, (2) Country Operations and (3) Safety and Security.
The Senior Operations Officer will codify and monitor the organization’s travel, and safety protocols, and support R4D in managing our non-US country office presence. This position is vital in establishing office start-up and close-out, country registration, and coordinating with key stakeholders across R4D.
The Senior Operations Officer will report to the Senior Global Operations Director, with a dotted line reporting relationship to the Chief Human Capital Officer for safety and security matters.
The Senior Operations Officer will collaborate with R4D’s Crisis Management Team (CMLT), and other members of the R4D country leadership teams. The Senior Operations Officer will work with team members based in a variety of global time zones, including, but not limited to, the East Coast of the United States and multiple countries in Africa, and occasionally Asia.
This position allows for a hybrid office/remote work environment and can be based in the US or any other of R4D’s registered offices such as the UK, Ethiopia, Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and Tanzania.
Please note this opportunity is only for individuals who have current and indefinite work authorization in one of the countries listed above and do not require future work sponsorship.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage relationship with R4D travel agents and visa vendor including ensuring appropriate knowledge sharing, managing unused ticket credits, and troubleshooting as necessary.
- Advise R4D staff on rules and regulations for travel and act as the key point of contact for staff on travel-related questions and issues.
- Oversee Travel Policy compliance and maintenance.
- Support program teams with Group Travel SOP’s.
- Monitor travel database for emergencies and coordinate closely with the CMLT and HR in response to incidents.
- Develop and maintain a travel authorization system.
- Analyze and prepare reports on travel spending.
- Ensure consistency across all country operations; work with country operations and finance officers to develop policies, procedures and protocols that fit local context and conform to R4D global guidelines.
- Support country teams to develop and manage vendor relationships for each office (i.e., direct billing hotels, driving services, local travel agents).
- As needed, support the Executive Leadership Team in decision making related to establishing presence in new geographies.
- Lead all country start up and close out activities including managing registration with local lawyers.
Safety and Security
- Lead on emergency preparedness planning.
- Liaise with R4D’s CMLT (Crisis Management Leadership Team) on the safety and security for all R4D personnel and assets countrywide.
- Develop strategies to continuously improve and refine security management systems for effectiveness and efficiency, considering evolving project needs, team dynamics, and project mission.
- Collaborate with HR on staff safety and security training needs.
- Review and update the Security Management Plan (SMP) for each office on a quarterly basis, and more frequently if changing security situation warrants.
- Ensure offices have adequate life safety measures and conform to the SMP.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures, including but not limited to access to R4D offices, travel procedures, communications, and implementation of Minimum-Security Standards.
- Serve as a member of the CMLT.
- Develop and deliver training for all staff to ensure uptake of safety and travel policies and SOPs.
- Provide orientation and pre-deployment briefings directly or indirectly to all staff traveling into assigned area.
- Provide travel recommendations and restrictions to ensure staff receive personal risk mitigation advice specifically tailored to the individual, their personal background, their region of travel and their anticipated task. (Human Resources will lead on medical related travel matters with ISOS and directly with staff for privacy compliance – this role will liaise with HR as needed.)
- Support project teams by advising on workplans and access to ensure project plans are aligned with SMP and SOPs as required.
- Support business development proposals with sound safety and security assessments and approaches.
- Keep abreast of conditions in R4D’s operating locations and update management of safety and security concerns affecting staff and travelers.
- Partner with HR to manage the contracting of safety and security vendors with support from procurement.
- 7 years’ global operations experience with international development activities with increasing levels of responsibility preferred.
- Undergraduate degree in business and/or public administration, management, or a related field or master’s degree preferred.
- Experience developing corporate level policies and manuals related to travel and safety and security.
- Previous experience working with USAID, FCDO, UN agencies, and Gates Foundation grants and contracts strongly preferred.
- Experience developing and delivering training programs.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, required.
- Willingness to travel internationally and domestically, as needed.
- Enthusiastic about joining a diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Motivated to learn, grow, contribute, and produce high quality results.
How to apply
Please click here to apply.