UBONGO is Africa’s leading producer of kids’ edutainment. As a non-profit social enterprise, we create fun, localized, and multi-platform educational content that helps kids learn, and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches over 27 million kids across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio, and mobile phones. Our shows Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me currently air in 23 countries across Africa in multiple languages.
- POSITION OBJECTIVE (overall purpose of the position)
We’re looking for a dynamic, creative, and flexible Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Manager to expand and improve our monitoring and evaluation across the organization. You’ll work closely with our Director of Education and Research to create and implement a long-term, monitoring, evaluation, and learning strategy.
1. Developing, implementing, and owning an organization-wide monitoring, evaluation, and learning strategy
- We are a learning organization. Therefore it is expected that you will take the lead to develop an organizational MEL strategy that measures (amongst other things) reach, engagement, and specific learning outcomes.
- Owning overall MEL strategy and coordinating implementation with both the Ubongo team and our research partners.
- Working with the growth team and data analyst to leverage lean data for continual monitoring in situations where we cannot afford to do in-depth studies.
- Liaising with research advisors and consultants to link our learning from impact evaluations that are done to the internal goal setting that we do (OKRs).
2. Leading the team in evaluating the educational impact of our products (as well as reach), so that we can prove that we are improving learning outcomes for children and their communities
- Liaising with the research advisor to ensure that our products are rigorously evaluated and that learnings from this testing are fed back into product development
- As well as studying the data we already have you will need to be able to create new data-gathering methodologies for program monitoring
- Creating a reporting framework for partners who use our content in their programs.
3. Analysing, summarising, and sharing results and learnings across the organization and externally
- Keeping the Ubongo team up-to-date on best practices and relevant work in MEL, and making sure we stay on the cutting edge!
- Analyzing, summarising, and sharing results & learnings internally with our team (in such a way that is easy to consume) and externally with partners, to ensure that everyone is up to date.
- Collaborating with the Head of Grants to ensure key learnings and up-to-date data are captured in donor reports
- Suggest to the team the most appropriate MEL software/tools that can be used
- Training Ubongoers and building on the existing capacity of our MEL in the company and the importance of establishing the correct measurement tools
- Bringing together all of our previous M&E work (including experimental studies, longitudinal research, surveys, and reach data) for internal learning
Company Wide Responsibilities
- Exemplify Ubongoers principles and norms
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED (Minimum knowledge, skills, and behaviors to perform the job)
- Located in Tanzania, and have the right to work there
- Degree in Research, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education, or another related field. Unrelated degrees with certification in Monitoring and Evaluation and/or Results Based Management may be considered.
- Extensive research experience including experience designing, leading, and implementing studies.
- Experience developing the Theory of Change at an organizational level
- Experience in research and impact evaluation, as well as communicating impact to various stakeholders, using leveraged data.
- Experience managing MEL programs, preferably at an organizational level – this role will be responsible for managing our MEL strategy across the entire organization.
- Confident and knowledgeable in data analysis and field implementation of research projects.
- Highly competent at organizing data. We have a lot of data, studies, and different projects, and you will be in charge of keeping all of this data and reporting in order
- Able to speak and work fluently in English
- Good attention to detail and ability to manipulate raw data
- Willing to speak up for what’s right, when you see wrong, or when you think there might be a better way
DEADLINE: The last day to receive applications for this position will be 16/05/23. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and the position may be filled before this date.
Please note that only online applications will be considered. Those who come directly to the office with a CV or who email their CV to us will simply be directed to apply online
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
- UBONGO provides equal employment opportunities to all its employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by the laws of the country we are operating in.