Position: Health Facility Baseline Data Collection Consultant
Number of contracted days: 60 days
Anticipated period of performance: February 15, 2023 – April 15, 2023
Background: An estimated 100,000 health facilities in sub-Saharan Africa lack reliable access to the electricity and digital connectivity they need to equitably serve their communities. Without these services, facilities can’t keep the lights on for nighttime births or emergency surgeries, run equipment that keeps vaccines viable, or modernize their communication and records management systems. This creates gaps in service delivery, limits access to health services, and diminishes health systems’ resilience to climate change and other threats. Launched in October 2022, the Health Electrification and Telecommunications Alliance (HETA) is Power Africa’s flagship initiative for health facility electrification and digital connectivity in sub-Saharan Africa. HETA is implemented by Abt Associates in partnership with RESOLVE, bechtel.org (Bechtel’s social enterprise), and Orange. As a Global Development Alliance (GDA), our approach is to catalyze public private partnerships to co-invest and collaboratively develop sustainable business models that increase access to reliable, renewable energy and internet connectivity for health facilities across the region.
Overview: The Health Electrification and Telecommunications Alliance (HETA), in partnership with the Christian Social Services Commission (CSSC), is seeking proposals from qualified entities to conduct baseline data collection across 24 health facilities in Tanzania. The purpose of this baseline assessment is to capture key indicators related to HETA core activities.
Objectives: The primary objectives of this scope of work are to:
Collect baseline data on HETA selected indicators (see key information below)
Capture key indicators related to the improvement of access to energy, digital connectivity, and medical services within these healthcare facilities.
Consolidate the findings in a well-structured report outlining the key outcomes for each of the data elements.
Consultant Responsibilities: The selected consultant will be responsible for conducting thorough assessments across the identified health facilities based on predefined criteria. The assessment will involve data collection related to the data elements listed under the Key Information section below. The process of data collection, analysis and reporting should be completed within two months. HETA will discuss with the consultant the final list of data elements included in the assessment and the data collection tool’s structure.
Key Information: The baseline data collection will encompass, but not be limited to, the following areas (HETA will share a detailed list data elements):
- Status of internet access.
- Status of digital reporting of health data and/or other uses of digital connectivity such as continuous learning and medical consultations.
- Equipment dependency on electricity and usage frequency.
- Cold chain storage and usage of electricity for various purposes.
- Staff interviews to gauge motivation and work capabilities.
- Number of beneficiaries (number of people in the catchment area served by the health facilities).
- Number of deliveries attended by a skilled birth attendant at a health facility per year (MCH).
- Maternal mortality ratio (deaths per 100 000 live births).
- Number of PEPFAR-supported laboratory-based testing and/or point-of-care testing sites with reliable connection (HIV/AIDS).
- Number of PEPFAR-supported facilities that have an electronic medical record (EMR) system within the following service delivery areas: HIV Testing Services, Care & Treatment, Antenatal or Maternity Services, Early Infant Diagnosis or Under Five Clinic, or TB/HIV Services.
- Number of adults and children currently receiving antiretroviral therapy (ART).
- Number of people with new and relapse TB that were notified and treated.
- Implementation and utilization of telemedicine services.
- Operating hours for the facility.
- Number of patience served per month (average for a period of 3 to 6 months).
- Baseline Assessment Report.
- List of facilities on excel with data elements that will be approved by HETA before commencing data collection.
- A relevant degree in public health, health informatics, electrical engineering, or a related field. Prior experience in health facility electrification programs or similar projects.
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection methods, including surveys, interviews, and focus group discussions.
- Proficiency in statistical analysis software for data processing and interpretation.
- Familiarity with the healthcare sector, especially in low-resource settings.
- Understanding of key health indicators, maternal and child health (MCH), and HIV/AIDS program metrics.
- Knowledge of digital health systems, electronic medical records (EMR), and telemedicine technologies.
- Understanding of equipment dependency on electricity in healthcare settings, including cold chain storage.
- Proven ability to manage complex projects, including baseline studies and data collection initiatives.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for effective interaction with healthcare staff, stakeholders, and communities.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports and presentations.
- Experience in conducting staff interviews to assess motivation, work capabilities, and operational aspects of health facilities.
- Understanding of healthcare service delivery models and operational challenges.
- Ability to navigate challenges in data collection, including potential barriers related to electricity access.
- Adherence to ethical standards in research and data collection, especially when dealing with sensitive health information.
- Understanding of public health principles and experience in program evaluation, particularly in the context of health facility electrification.
- Efficient time management skills to ensure timely completion of the baseline study within the specified timeframe.
Around the world, vulnerable populations face an array of complex problems. At Abt, we’re committed to making fundamental societal change in these disproportionately affected communities. We help wherever we’re needed. Here, you’ll collaborate with an international network of talented colleagues as you design and implement solutions for critical health, climate, economic, and governance issues. In partnership with local and indigenous communities you will help to improve lives and livelihood. All the while having the support and encouragement of leaders who always put your career and wellbeing first. Come make a World of Difference with us.
At Abt Associates, our commitment to creating a more equitable society for populations around the world starts from within. We understand how communities can flourish when people are given the right resources and support, and at Abt we continuously strive to cultivate a culture where there are no barriers to personal and professional fulfilment. Our welcoming and inclusive environment, our stance on employee wellbeing and flexibility, our deliberate approach towards expanding our talent representation, and our Employee Networking Groups are just some of the ways we ensure that everyone at Abt can thrive. With an eye towards continuous improvement, we know there’s always more to be done. And we’re set on doing it.
ABOUT THE TEAM
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader with a proven track record in complex program implementation in the international development sector. We offer bold solutions and technical excellence in Health, Economic Growth, Governance, Research & Evaluation, Environment & Energy, Gender Equality & Social Inclusion. Working with our many partners, we have driven measurable social impact for more than 55 years, to achieve our mission of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. We operate in remote and challenging environments and employ more than 3,700 staff in over 50 countries. For more information about us and what we do, visit our website at www.abtassociates.com
To apply for this job please visit egpy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com.