International Rescue Committee
Requisition ID: req41979
Job Title: Gender Equality Diversity and Inclusion Consultant
Sector: Diversity & Inclusion
Employment Category: Consultant
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Gender, Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (GEDI) is a key component of the IRC’s strategy and vision and has been identified as a core global priority for our strategic plan, Strategy100. As an organization, we are committed anti-racism and fighting discrimination, understanding the systemic underpinnings of both, and recognizing that different parts of the world experience these issues in different ways. The IRC GEDI action plan aims to build an inclusive organizational culture where diversity will be championed and represented at all leadership levels and every staff member is safe respected and encouraged to bring their authentic self to work.
The IRC have recently conducted an organizational wide Diversity Equality and Inclusion survey (the IRC people Survey) with the aim to understand staff composition across social identity and how employment-related indicators and feeling o inclusion and engagement vary across social identities and context. The IRC people survey result and finding are used to refine and strengthen country and regional GEDI strategy and action plans.
IRC Tanzania is seeking a consultant to support our organization in the implementation of creating safe spaces to discuss the findings a staff engagement survey (People Survey), provide technical quality assurance to client-facing gender integration in programming and support People & Culture (P&C) to develop equitable and inclusive policies, procedures, and practices.
Scope of work
Based on existing IRC, industry wide best practices and contextual knowledge of Tanzania’s GEDI related dynamics, the independent consultant will:
People Survey Action Planning: The consultant will work with the Tanzania CP to develop an action plan to address any identified gender-related issues based on the People Survey.
Program Integration: Gender Integration of YouthFirst! Gender Strategy: The consultant will lead the integration of our gender strategy into our YouthFirst! program, ensuring that all aspects of the program are gender responsive.
Work-Planning and Tool Development: The consultant will equip our country program with responsive, actionable work-planning, and other tools as required for implementation and periodic review of gender-inclusive policies, procedures, and practices, in collaboration with W@W, GEDI, and P&C.
The consultant will deliver the following:
People Survey Action Plan: A comprehensive action plan to address any identified gender-related issues based on the People Survey.
YouthFirst! Gender Integration Plan: A detailed work plan for the integration of our gender strategy into our YouthFirst! program.
Work-Planning and Tool Development: Responsive, actionable work-planning, and other tools as required for implementation and periodic review of gender-inclusive policies, procedures, and practices.
Payable upon approved activities & deliverables.
· Deep contextual knowledge of the culture and geographic zone (specific to Tanzania)
· Deep commitment to and knowledge of strategies to advance diversity, equality, and inclusion; proven experience in incorporating feminist and gender perspectives and ensuring equal participation in the workplace.
· Track record in designing and implementing Gender, Equality, Diversity, and inclusion strategy within the international development and or humanitarian sector.
· Deep understanding of gender inequalities in Tanzania
· Participatory facilitation skills and the ability to engage, inspire to action, and influence people outside of direct reporting lines.
· Deep understanding and methods to address discrimination, marginalization, and navigating power dynamics.
· Receptive and collaborative approach that contributes to a positive team environment; builds and maintains strong relationships with people from all backgrounds, genders, cultures, and viewpoints.
· Ability to support the implementation of a cross-cutting strategy while actively incorporating enterprise priorities and appropriate direction and feedback from colleagues.
· Strong, concise, and compelling written communication skills and excellent public speaking skills
· Excellent spoken and written of English, Swahili is preferred.
Location & Reporting
The consultant will be based in Tanzania (open to Dar Es Salaaam/Kigoma/Mtwara) and have joint reporting to HR Coordinator (Tanzania, Country Program), and the Regional GEDI Director for Central Africa.
Local Tanzanian candidates, women, people with disabilities, refugee/IDP lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.