The Finance Officer is responsible for providing financial and management support to Jhpiego Tanzania Office to ensure the smooth running of the office.This includes providing day-to-day financial and operations support, review of internal control systems, accounts payable etc.
This position will be closed on February 7, 2024
- Examine financial documents such as vouchers, invoices, delivery notes, purchase orders and other documents to ensure the completeness, accuracy, and validity of financial data before payments are made as per DOA.
- Monitor disbursement of funds to ensure compliance with Jhpiego’s financial policies and procedures as outlined in the Jhpiego Finance and Accounting policies manual for country offices, Banking Policy, QuickBooks Manual, Procurement Manual, and any other policies.
- Review petty cash register and carry out periodic surprise cash counts.
- Review and/or approve expense reports and other project expenses on a day-to-day basis to ensure adequate documentation, allowability, allocability and reasonability as per the DOA.
- Tracks and examine documents such as vendor/consultant invoices and staff claims to ensure completeness, reasonability, accuracy, validity and relevance to programs.
- Ensure Bills entered in QuickBooks on a daily basis have correct charging to projects, correct use of account codes and correct use of exchange rate.
- Ensure every payment transaction processed in QuickBooks(accounting software) is updated in Invoice Payment Tracker, VAT Tracker and Income Tax Withholding Tracker on a timely basis.
- Works with other finance staff to Prepare QuickBooks monthly financial reports, conduct bank reconciliation and review any other financial reports before submission to the Country Finance Director.
- Works with Project Finance Leads to ensure all Invoices, Open Purchase Orders and other payables are cleared on time.
- Participate in project, annual or any specific audit, pre-audit or any financial or Internal Control Review (ICR) undertaken in Dar es Salaam office or at the regional level.
- Ensure timely monthly filing and processing of payments on PAYE returns and non PAYE returns to avoid the risk of penalty to the organization.
- Perform reconciliation of Vendor Tax account and Income Tax Withholding account on monthly basis before filling returns to ensure these accounts bears zero balance at all times.
- Participates in Internal Control Reviews (ICR), Project specific audits, External Audits and works on auditors’ recommendations in collaboration with other finance staff and non-finance staff.
- Reports any internal control weakness and risks for Accounts Payable and other finance related issues to Finance Manager and other senior finance staff and proposes corrective actions to mitigate the risks.
- Provides financial management support to program activities as per Jhpiego financial policies and procedures.
- Assists Finance Manager in managing staff advances and vendors aging reports by ensuring that they are not outstanding for more than 30 days.
- Provides capacity building to Jhpiego Tanzania staffs on issues relating Accounts Payable management.
- Attends weekly and monthly scheduled finance meetings with respective Project Finance Leads to review transactions, review achievements and agree on the plans for the prospecting period.
- Conduct periodic reconciliation of Prepaid Expenses (LC), Income Tax Withholding and Vendor Tax to ensure they are showing the correct balances.
- Participate in weekly Open Purchase Orders review meetings to ensure all POs are cleared on time and open PO has aging more than 30 days.
- Assume other duties as assigned by the supervisors that ensure the sound functioning of the country office.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance
- CPA/ACCA Finalist or equivalent.
- Minimum five (5) to six (6) years relevant experience in finance or accounting
- Communication and interpersonal skills – Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to deal with staff at all levels.
- Tax Knowledge – In depth knowledge of Tanzania income tax regulations
- Understanding of USAID rules and regulations
- Supervisory experience highly preferred on experience
- Ability to Mentor and train other Finance staff
- Knowledge of the Microsoft office Excel, Word, Power Point
- Knowledge of Quick Book Enterprises.is an added advantage
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at www.jobs-jhpiego.icims.com
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume, references, and salary history.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
Jhpiego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit jobs-jhpiego.icims.com.