Switzerland-Tanzania Chamber of Commerce (STCC)
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FOR THE SWITZERLAND-TANZANIA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE (STCC)
The Switzerland-Tanzania Chamber of Commerce limited (STCC) was founded in 2023 with headquarters in Dar es Salaam. The Chamber is a privately run, non-for profit organization, managed by the private sector for the private sector.
JOB DESCRIPTION / RESPONSIBILITIES
The newly established STCC is looking for a dynamic, pro-active and creative Executive Director to grow the organization, develop and implement its strategy and bring value to the STCC Members.
Highly organized and detail-oriented, the Executive Director works independently and reports to the Board of Directors of the STCC. She/he leads the Chamber and is the “face” of the organization in its interactions with various stakeholder groups, which, in addition to corporate members, include local and national politicians, regulators, authorities, embassies, and other multilateral institutions.
The main responsibilities of the Executive Director (ED) are:
Development of the Chamber
• Engage with all relevant stakeholders to broaden the STCC’s membership base as well as expanding and consolidating its network of partners;
• Develop the pertinent tools, instruments and products to realize the STCC’s vision and implement its strategies.
Public Policy and Communication
• Engage effectively with stakeholders such as Government and public institutions on behalf of the Members and promote the Members’ and Chamber’s interests;
• Gather, assess and analyze intelligence on the local business environment and evaluate the resulting opportunities for the STCC’s Members;
• Prepare policy statements and suggestions for use by various parties, including, but not limited, to political actors, regulatory bodies and agencies;
• Prepare monthly newsletter(s) with institutional/legal updates, economic reports and overview of upcoming conferences, meetings and other activities;
• Manage and maintain STCC’s social media accounts and website as effective tools for communication;
• Organize and animate social and business networking events and ensure sound follow-ups.
• Proactively recruit, grow and maintain the membership base (incl. membership fees oversight)
• Coordinate fundraising activities;
• Be the go-to-person for all STCC’s Members.
Management, Legal and Administrative
• Build and manage the support team;
• Liaise with relevant Governmental bodies (BRELA, TRA, City Municipal, NSSF, etc.) and ensure that all licenses and permits are up to date;
• Prepare and manage statutory meetings (Board Meetings and Annual General Meeting, i.a.);
• Ensure record keeping and information systems updates (incl. public policy reviews and legislations);
• Manage the company’s budget and finances (incl. financial statement with external support);
• Prepare the annual report (to be approved by the Board of Directors);
• Prepare and submit all necessary statutory fillings to the relevant authorities.
• University degree or equivalent in Economics, Business Administration, Corporate Law or related area (Master degree/MBA is an added advantage);
• At least 3 to 5 years’ experience in a management position;
• Track record in engaging with stakeholders from the private and public sector;
• Excellent command of spoken and written English and Kiswahili (knowledge of German and/or French is an asset);
• Excellent IT skills, extensive expertise in working with Microsoft Office 360;
• Willingness and ability to travel (nationally and internationally).
• Open, creative, pro-active, and flexible personality;
• Strong networking, interpersonal and professional communication skills (incl. public speaking);
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
• Capability to manage multiple and competing priorities and work well under pressure;
• Ability to deal with sensitive information with discretion and to maintain confidentiality;
• Sound knowledge of Tanzania’s macroeconomics, business environment and investment climate;
• Strong analytical and conceptual aptitudes;
• Solid writing skills to produce concise and well-structured reports and articles;
• Excellent administrative and organizational skills (i.e. ability to maintain a high level of accuracy).
• Work schedule: full-time, 5 days a week (it may be necessary to work additional hours during peak periods).
• The STCC strives to promote diversity and equal opportunity. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
• To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to the Board of Directors per email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• Application deadline: March 31, 2023.
To apply for this job please visit stcc.co.tz.