At ERM, we have the opportunity, every day, to make an impact at scale with our clients to solve global climate, carbon, ESG, and sustainability challenges. We work on challenging and interesting projects with influential and exciting clients to get real results. In our professional business enablement functions, we provide solutions, advice and services to power our business, because what we do matters in the world.
People are at the heart of our operation. We are built around a Partnership model where ERM Partners are the shareholding managers and leaders of the organization. This creates a strong community, united by the impact of our work. Our people lean on and learn from each other, collaborating in a way that includes everyone’s voices and encourages all to thrive. Inclusive collaboration is the driving force in creating a compassionate workplace that blends with our high performance culture.
Job Profile Summary
Environmental Resources Management Consulting Tanzania Limited (ERM) is seeking an experienced and motivated Principal Consultant/Business Development Manager with an environmental and social consulting background to manage and deliver Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) and Environmental and Social Due Diligence (ESDD) projects.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record leading and delivering on ESIA and ESDD projects in compliance with international best practice for multinational clients across sub-Saharan Africa. In this role, you will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania; with opportunities to travel internationally. This is a great opportunity for a senior professional looking to advance their career with a global sustainability leader, while managing project teams that deliver world-class ESIAs and due diligence activities across the globe.
Overall Job Purpose
As a Principal Consultant joining our team, your key focus will be to continue to grow ERM’s brand in East Africa, and specifically in Tanzania by:
- Being client facing, specifically to ERM’s key clients in Tanzania and in Africa in general.
- Building on and cementing relationships with key Tanzanian consultancies and individual experts to assist ERM in delivering on our work in Tanzania and East Africa.
- Collaborating with ERM Staff in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) Business Unit (BU) and other business units where necessary, to assist in identifying the skill sets required for both proposals and project delivery.
- Proposal preparation, sales, business development and client management.
- Serve as Project Manager for ESIA, E&S management planning, ESDDs and related activities in support of ERM clients’ international development projects, with a primary focus on the energy, infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, and agribusiness sectors.
- Lead preparation of ESIAs and associated management plans in compliance with international best practice standards (e.g., IFC Performance Standards, World Bank ESS, Equator Principles, etc.) as well as country-specific requirements and general best practices where these specific standards do not apply.
- Direct and monitor project management activities related to ESIA/ESMP/DD projects, including task delegation and direction, subcontractor management, health & safety protocol management, monitoring of commercial performance, deliverable quality review, and interaction with clients.
- Contribute to preparing quality E&S deliverables, serving in roles ranging from technical expert to quality review. Expected project delivery activities include report writing, undertaking and organizing data collection and survey field work, data and literature review, impact and risk analysis, management and mitigation planning, and development of recommendations for clients.
- Lead and/or deliver on E&S audits for transactional due diligence projects.
- Collaborate with other ERM subject matter experts (SMEs) to execute impact assessment and management projects.
- Participate on teams comprised of Impact Assessment Practitioners (IAPs) from multiple offices around the global ERM organization.
- Mentor junior-level and mid-level consulting staff (including those with introductory levels of impact assessment and DD experience) to develop their skill sets in the IAP/ESMP/DD service areas.
- Contribute to proposal development, including development of technical scopes and cost estimates. Maintain client relationships to support repeat business. Note: This role will have a sale based KPI in addition to project delivery KPIs.
- Work with other global ERM resources to deepen relationships with ERM key clients to expand ERM’s profile and market share in the global IAP market (through a combination of excellence in technical delivery and business development support).
- You will be part of our interdisciplinary and international team and will collaborate with ERM offices in the Americas, Asia-Pacific, and EMEA regions. Travel within Africa and globally will be required to fulfil some of the above requirements.
- Master’s Degree in environmental science/studies/engineering or similar (PhD beneficial).
- Minimum of 10 years of E&S consulting experience, including successfully managing projects and teams on ESIAs/ESMPs and due diligence activities in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Registration with National Environment Management Council (NEMC) as a lead practitioner and with a practicing license as an environmental & audit expert in the category of consulting environmental experts for various sectors is compulsory.
- Strong technical E&S experience linking to priority sectors including energy, infrastructure and extractives.
- Understanding of relevant international E&S Safeguards and Standards, i.e., IFC Performance Standards, Equator Principles, World Bank ESSF.
- Demonstrable experience in project management of complex capital projects.
- Commercial acumen, business development and client relationship building skills.
- Commitment to health and safety excellence.
- Experience using data and technology to solve clients E&S challenges.
- Willingness to travel.
- Ability to work under pressure, juggling multiple responsibilities.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Fluent in English and Kiswahili, capable of excellent report writing in English.
- Strong team and communication skills.
- Initiative, sense of responsibility, flexibility
Thank you for your interest in ERM!