Barrick Gold Corporation
North Mara Gold Mine Limited is seeking to recruit Environment officer to join and grow their team. You will be expected to align to the Barrick DNA and to operate within our mining assets with our best people teams . You will contribute in a safe and cost-effective manner to achieve targets in accordance with Mine Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures and ensure daily targets are met.
About North Mara
The North Mara gold mine is located in north-west Tanzania in the Tarime district of the Mara region. It is around 100 kilometres east of Lake Victoria and 20 kilometres south of the Kenyan border.
North Mara started commercial production in 2002. The mine is a combined open pit and underground operation from two deposits, Gokona (underground) and Nyabirama (open pit).
- Assist the Senior Environmental Officer on planning, coordinating and executing biodiversity conservation, progressive rehabilitation and mine closure activities. This is the key function of this position so a successful candidate should be ready to spend much time of his career on this function
- Assist the Senior Environmental Officer of supervision of closure related studies such as Geochemical Characterization, Pit Lakes Modelling, Social Closure and others
- Supervise field closure related pilots study and report results to Senior Environmental Officer
- Carry Lab based on site closure related studies as required
- Supervise field concurrent rehabilitation activities and record necessary field information
- Develop and implement tool for biodiversity monitoring at the site, capture monitoring information in GIS
- Coordinate Biodiversity Offset programs in Tanzania as required
- Assist the Senior Environmental Officer on Biodiversity Plan Implementation
- Conduct Flora and Fauna studies, bioaccumulation studies, and other key biodiversity related studies as required.
- Own and update closure costs on quarterly and annual basis using available tools as guided by Barrick Group Closure Team
- Run onsite leach column experiment is up and running with proper data interpretation
- Develop and implement robust on site land disturbances permitting system, capture relevant information in GIS.
- Prepare progressive rehabilitation progress and biodiversity maps using GIS software or alternative software as required
- Conduct stakeholders consultation as part of mine closure
- Process mine related permits as required and keep the permit register up to date
- Prepare reports as required and ensure that all information required for reporting such as Sustainability Information is reported on time as required
- Conduct other assignment assigned by supervisor but not limited to the following:
- Participate on implementation of EMS across the site and ensuring the site comply with the ISO 14001:2015
- Maintain and update the legal and permit registers
- Undertake annual assessment of compliance against the legal and other requirements for all departments and contractors
- Follow up of environmental incidents and ensure all incidents are lodged.
- Coordinate and/or conduct environmental training and awareness programs and maintain training records
- Participate in implementation of the cyanide code
- Plan, coordinate and supervise environmental projects
- Participate in the EIA studies for new projects
- Coordinate monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- Assist on Site Environmental Lab Operations
- Assist on supervision of Chemical and Waste Management on site
- Assist on water, air quality and noise monitoring activities
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering, Environmental Management, Environmental Chemistry or related field from a reputable University
- Professional registration with NEMC as Environmental Expert (EIA and Auditing) is an added Advantage
- Computer literacy is essential – Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. The use of GIS and other specialized software’s for environmental management will be an added advantage.
Experience And Competencies Needed
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in environmental management in the extractive industry or similar operations.
- Understanding of the ISO 14001 certified environmental management system
- Experience and ability to work long hours in a remote site environment will be an added advantage
- Experience in mine closure and rehabilitation will be added advantage
- Should be able to comprehend multiple scientific information and make interpretation
- Should be able to learn and adapt quickly on new technologies especially software and tools i.e. Closure Cost Model, Pit Lake Modelling Tools, Water and Salt Balance Tools, Material Balance Tools, GIS and others
- Ability to work under minimum supervision is essential
To apply for this job please visit ehkn.fa.ca2.oraclecloud.com.