Sheladia Associates seeks a highly qualified Chief of Party (COP) to lead the anticipated USAID/Tanzania Water Infrastructure Support Activity (WISA). This 5-Year USAID-funded program will provide assistance to the Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency (RUWASA) and the Government of Tanzania (GoT) to increase access to water and sanitation services through drilling deep water wells, constructing water supply systems, and constructing small scale fecal sludge treatment plants (decentralized wastewater treatment systems).
The COP, based in Dar es Salem, will lead the team by providing overall project management and technical direction to align with the project’s objectives. The COP will report to and work closely with USAID and the Sheladia Associates’ home office based in Rockville MD to ensure that the program operations integrate effectively between the project (Tanzania) and home-based office (US), and high-quality implementation consistent with international best practices.
This position will be based in Dar es Salam and is contingent upon project award to Sheladia Associates.
- Work closely with the client for the strategic vision and overall leadership of the project team and the team’s performance and achievement of all key objectives of the project.
- Ensure that USAID/Tanzania is fully knowledgeable and engaged with Host Government in Tanzania on all aspects of their Water Infrastructure Agenda.
- Serve as the primary liaison with the USAID Contracting Officer’s Representative (COR) or Agreement Officer’s Representative (AOR) on management and technical matters,
- Ensure compliance with USAID rules/regulations (including FAR) and Sheladia Associates’ processes.
- Act as a liaison to relevant ministries within the Government of Tanzania to ensure smooth implementation of the project while laying the groundwork for sustainability
- Regularly liaise with the USAID/Tanzania Mission programmatic and technical staff, and USAID and other USG agencies, as appropriate.
- Design, lead and/or assist in the in implementation of capacity building for key public and private sector partners.
- Maintain strong relationships with relevant sector stakeholders including multilateral development donors and private sector companies.
- Responsible for ensuring the successful management, initiation, and completion of complex water infrastructure programs of significant importance to Tanzania.
- Assure effective supervision of construction design and implementation, in close collaboration with USAID and other relevant agencies.
- Provides technical advice on Water Infrastructure related issues, technical designs, feasibility studies and quality management processes.
- Manage the preparation of the project’s progress report, work-plans and other contractual deliverables.
- Collaborate with the field-based operations team and home office staff on work-planning, activity design, scheduling and implementation, drafting technical justifications for client approvals, and reporting and budgeting.
- Coordinate with the home office and the field-based operations team on the sourcing, recruiting, hiring and deployment and onboarding of staff, consultants and subcontractors.
- Maintain and update the project budget to avoid or mitigate cost overruns.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree civil engineering or related field.
- 10 years of progressively responsible experience in the Water & Sanitation sector including the supervision of the design and implementation of water infrastructure programs.
- Prior experience as a Chief of Party/Deputy Chief of Party for USAID-funded projects
- 5 years of experience managing large and complex WASH related programs in sub-Saharan Africa
- Proven track record of leadership, demonstrated by a strong followership from junior colleagues and peers with exhibited success hiring, leading, and motivating highly- effective teams, ideally with experience managing people with diverse backgrounds and skillsets.
- Experience designing and implementing capacity building programs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated familiarity, and prior experience addressing WASH sector challenges in Tanzania.
- Strong executive presence with an ability to build trusted relationships with partners, customers, lenders, service providers and investors.