LIPTON Teas and Infusions
LIPTON Teas and Infusions is the world’s largest tea business with a remarkable portfolio of over 30 world-class brands, including iconic names like Lipton, PG Tips, TAZO, Brooke Bond, and B-Corp certified Pukka and T2. Based in the Netherlands and operating in more than 100 countries, we pioneer innovative, premium and sustainable teas and infusions to delight our consumers daily. Our commitment is to drive the entire tea industry upwards and create value for all and the planet, from farmers to consumers, retailers, team members, partners, and shareholders. We take a long-term approach, investing in innovative and sustainable practices that deliver responsible growth, with a keen focus on meeting the needs of our customers and consumers, protecting the environment, and making a positive impact on people’s lives.
ekaterra Tea Tanzania Limited is one of LIPTON Teas and Infusions’ Tea entity in Africa. We create wealth both directly through our operations and indirectly through our broader value chains where we support development and growth in partnership with businesses and communities.
The Company employs over 5,500 employees whose safety and security are very important to the business. ekaterra Tea Tanzania is thus at the heart of LIPTON Teas and Infusions’ Operations.
LOCATION: Mufindi, Tanzania
PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Assistant Field Manager supports leadership with the management of staff and day‐to‐day operations for the assigned area of responsibility. In this role, the individual is accountable to deliver established goals, utilizes good judgment to assess and escalate situations when warranted and utilizes knowledge and skills in the area of expertise while maintaining expected green leaf quality standards. The Assistant Manager must act as a leader by building constructive relationships and by supporting agriculture department leadership in developing, setting, and executing department goals and the strategic plan in accordance with eTT mission statement. Also, he/she is responsible on people’s safety, wellbeing, and security
Health, Safety & Environment
• Implementation of Company defined policies allowing the Unit/Department to meet Occupational Health, Safety, Environmental care, and Consumer safety requirement
• Proactive identifications of hazards or environmental aspects and putting in place effective safeguards aiming at eliminating/reduction of accidents
• Check and Approve SHE returns to include OHS & EPR
• Hold factory SHE site meetings on monthly basis
• Implement all aspect of legal and statutory requirement touching OHS and EPR
• Take fully responsibilities in ensuring that all third party/contractors are aware and that they follow the given guard line.
• Plan for the emergency drill and draw learning and actions out of it
• Overall responsibility of the management of change MOC (New equipment, new employee, process change, new product/formulation)
• Draw up objectives and target, management programmes review, and document.
Estate Management & Tea harvesting related accountabilities.
• Manage Estate Division to the highest agricultural standards and improve productivity through expansion and sustenance of mechanical harvesting operations by having best practices of harvesting and post-harvest handling.
• Plan and oversee day to day operations by supervising hand plucking, harvesting personnel to ensure acceptable standards of green leaf quality is harvested and well-handled to the factory.
• Plan and execute the estate division annual agricultural practice, pruning and fertilizer application.
• Ensure the division administration is managed by providing periodical crop forecast, validation of payroll input/output, payments of employees and the entire financial expenditure is within the budget.
• Manage the estate division industrial/employee relations, conduct disciplinary cases as per the CBA /employment act and company disciplinary procedure. Enhance good co-existence amongst workers and the neighboring community.
• Manage the division infrastructure and conservancy to the required standards; fully embed best practices in Rainforest alliance.
• Ensure safety policy is implemented and all safety training is conducted to all sub- staffs and general labor.
• Ensure all workers are wearing the requires PPEs for the job.
• Deliver the business targets aligned to Business strategy, jobs to do (JTD) and enhance performance culture through business transformation.
• Operating and maintaining the site as a fully functioning and productive all year round by wise planning of irrigation time, pruning, fertilizing, weeding practices etc.
• Ensure that the division is always maintained to the highest possible standards and that the company infrastructure and associated accessories are robustly protected and cared for.
• Provide effective management of staff operating within the division function, consisting of headmen/women.
• Managing, distributing, and maintaining the plucking equipment within the division and reordering new ones from the central store whenever necessary.
• Monitor the progression of all tasks within the division ensuring all specifications are met within an agreed time, budget, and quality requirements
• Comply with and help enforce standard policies and procedures within the department relating to sustainability and related tasks
• Review future new tea development field space requirements, develop and implement a management plan
• To carry out any other duty as directed by the line manager from time to time
• Responsibility for controlling and managing the production costs, field costs, overhead costs and total budget; and working with the estate manager in budget setting
• Ensure that cost effective measures and maintenance arrangements are put in place and regularly reviewed, using internal resources and external/outsourced contractors where appropriate; and with due approvals.
• Anticipate future developments with the fields, estate infrastructure, plucking accessories in advance, ensuring that adequate planning and budgetary provision is made for maintenance and repair works and that continuity of service is optimized
• Working with the estate manager and fellow assistants to implement best value utility arrangements and to reduce costs wherever possible.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
• Graduate in Agriculture, Horticulture, Agricultural Engineering or Bachelor of Science.
• Crop Production and Field Operations
• Sourcing – raw materials of agricultural origin
• Plant Breeding – tea nurseries
• Infrastructure Management
• Project Management